Friday, November 12, 2010

Stuff

Today's post will have a few images in lieu of my lack of posts throughout the week. First I'll show a drawing I did at Dorian's house a couple weeks ago. It was done with Pan Pastel and graphite on hot press watercolor paper, about 12" x 16."



Second, and most importantly, I finally finished a painting that I had started in August. You can see it in the early stages in a previous post http://painterification.blogspot.com/2010/09/some-works-in-progress.html along with a couple other pieces I'll be showing in this post. I'm really happy with how it came out and all thats left to do is frame that bad larry. I'm thinking of getting an oval matte for it too, it'll look nice.



Third is an experimental self-portrait I did a while back. I was playing a lot with thick applications of paint and how they mix on the surface. There's a lot of things I liked and learned that I apply to my work now. Conversely there are a lot of things I will never do again. The palette of colors is the actual palette I used. It has since grown significantly to about 30 some odd colors. Starting from the right: Titanium White, Yellow Ochre (has since replaced by Rembrandt yellow ochre light), Transparent Red Oxide, Cadmium Red, Quinacridone Red (http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2010/04/lightfastness-and-alizarin-crimson.html I replaced alizarin crimson with quinacridone after reading this, and several other, posts by James Gurney), Cadmium Orange, Winsor Yellow (Cadmium Yellow Light is a good equivalent), Lemon Yellow, Greenish Yellow (a color I picked up after reading about Dan Dos Santos's favorite colors. Love/hate relationship with this one), Viridian, Cobalt Blue, Manganese Pthalo Blue, and Magenta.



Finally I have a self-portrait started over the summer. I had begun the painting using the CSO painting medium I discussed in a previous post (the skull 3 hour study) but at the time I didn't really know how to use it. Because I wanted to execute the painting entirely with the CSO mixed paints, I set it aside until I could grasp how to use it successfully. It was a trip to my friend Dorian Vallejo's house one evening to show him some of my paintings that got me excited to jump back into this one. He loved it, and I was more confident about the CSO. And thus, I put it on my easel again and began working. Anatomy was completely off from my initial work on it, so I began fixing it and I'm still working to make it look believable. This is what I have so far and I'm incredibly happy with it. Enjoy!



My plan (wishful thinking) is to finish the cigar self-portrait as well as a commissioned portrait that I'll show when completed, all by November 15. I can definitely put a major dent in my work this weekend since I took today off and have the whole weekend to just paint. After all the work is done, I'll have about 10 pieces for my portfolio for grad school and it will free up about 2 months to work on a couple more ambitious paintings that'll really raise the bar for me as a painter. I'll post sketches for one of them next week. Any and all feedback is welcome. Have a great weekend everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment