Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Alex Piccirillo


Here is the finish of my portrait of Alex. Learned a lot with this technique and i want to explore it more as a means to an end as well as an underpainting. I don't think i have patience working so large with pencils, so I may be doing smaller images in the future. Nothing larger than 16 x 20. Covering large areas of the same color becomes really monotonous real fast, especially since with paint it takes all of 10 seconds to do. But for rendering the figure and getting really bright colors mixed in, it is really fascinating and easy to do. All in all this is probably the most exciting piece I've worked on in a long while, from a technical standpoint. So, enjoy the image :)

3 comments:

  1. This is all colored pencil? Whew! Well done, Julian. I really like his expression and all the textures you manage to achieve in this.
    One thing I've found with colored pencils is that if I use the Nu-pastel on the larger areas to put down the base color, it cuts down on time. Using a solvent on several layers also helps spread the pigment and cover the paper quicker. It is a slow medium.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim! This is colored pencil and watercolor on canvas :D I will definitely try out the nu-pastel because it certainly is a task to cover a large area with a pencil. Half the sucker gets used up! I'll try using a solvent to spread it around, but could i still do it on raw canvas? I don't know if it would damage the weave or not. It may be interesting though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex, How are you! I was very sorry to hear about Phyliss. I hope the girls are doing well. Joe Testa

    ReplyDelete